Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One of the forgotten mothers

I love reading Stephanie's blog about being a birth mother. (Stephanie, I will miss you in the blogging world!) In one of her posts she had a link this article about birth mothers on mothers day. I remember reading through the post and fully intending to click on the article but never got around to it. Now that mother's day is almost a month past, I finally pulled it up. It talks about the forgotten mothers on mothers day. The ones who don't receive flowers or burnt pancakes for breakfast that day.

As I read the short article I kept thinking about how I never imagined myself to be one of those mothers. I never imagined myself having to spend mothers day watching other mothers receive the hand made cards and macaroni necklaces. I always thought I would be there for all of my children's firsts....and seconds....and thirds for that matter. But really who ever imagines themselves as a birth mother? 

Although I never imagined myself to have the title of birth mother, it is mine and I love it. It is a title I hold close to my heart and was given to me because of sweet little B. Because of that title, he is my motivation to accomplish great things in my life. I want to be some one B is proud to call his birth mother. Every thing good that I have accomplished in my life is because one day if B wants to have more of a relationship with me, or even if he just asks his mom to tell him stories about me, I want him to be able to be happy about what he learns. I want him to know that he comes from strong people who pick themselves up when they have fallen. People who are not afraid of a challenge.

I never imagined myself being a birth mother, but because I am B's birth mother, I do my best to leave others better then I found them. Because I am B's birth mother, I am getting the most education I possibly can. Even when it is hard. Because I am B's birth mother, when I am faced with a choice between wrong and right I ask myself, what would make B proud to call me his birth mother? I hope one day he will know of the impact he has had on my life and the lives of so many who he doesn't even know. He is the inspiration for good in my life and any others that I can reach. He is a pretty great kid and so I am trying to be the kind of birth mother he deserves to match.

No comments: